Avalanche Awareness Training 1
Do you Ski / Board out of bounds, off the trails, or into the backcountry?
If so an AAT1 is the perfect place to start your backcountry education. You don't need any backcountry experience to take this course.
The AAT1 is the perfect starting point for those thinking of entering the backcountry or slack country. In this course we will teach you how to behave in a safe manner while understanding if you are in avalanche terrain or not. An AAT1 is a two-day course with I day of classroom (theory) and one day for field training.
It is highly recommended that you do this course with the people that you regularly tour with.
Remember that an AAT1 course is a recreational course, it is the beginning of your avalanche education journey.
What you will learn in an AAT1:
- Avalanches, what, how, why, and when.
- How to know if you are touring in avalanche terrain.
- Understanding how to interpret the local avalanche bulletin.
- Using of tools and resources to mitigate your avalanche risk.
- Victim rescue training using beacon, shovel and probe.
- Basic snow pack testing.